Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Orphanage Visit

Recently, Brett and I visited an orphanage near our apt. Sergeau, the preacher at the Xarkivska Church of Christ invited us to go with him. He has been visiting this orphanage for the last year. We went into a classroom where there were about 15 kids around the ages of 8-10. Of course Brett and I aren’t sure of everything that was said, but he had a school type lesson with them and he also incorporated Jesus into it. We helped the kids as they made their crafts. We were able to say a few things to them. It was kind of intimidating for me because I’m used to being able to easily have a conversation with children and this time it was a stretch to speak a few sentences like asking them what their name was and how old they were. Some of them knew some Spanish that they had been learning in school at the orphanage, so we counted in Spanish together.

One thing that was especially heart breaking was that they called all adults “mama” or “papa.”

Sergeau said it was because they so desperately wanted to have their own mama and papa. As the class was ending, different men and women came in and out and took a child with them. Sergeau said they worked for the orphanage and did different things with the kids.

After the orphanage visit, Brett and I walked to get on the metro and I noticed a little girl holding a woman’s hand and turning back and smiling at us. I realized it was a little girl that I had talked to at the orphanage. She got on the metro too but I never saw her again. It’s neat the connection that I felt with that little girl although we could barely speak to each other.

I hope to visit as many orphanages as I can to see what all the needs are and to see if this is a ministry that I might get involved in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really cool, Alicia. I hope you guys had a very Merry Christmas. Katie from KIBC said that there was some snow Christmas morning. It was like, 82 on Christmas here in Tallahassee. I went running that day and as I was making my way down the road in shorts and a t-shirt sweating I was thinking how very hard it is to convince yourself that it is Christmas in this kind of weather. But that's what air conditioners and fireplaces are for, right? ;0)

I miss you and hope you're having a good time in Kyiv. Lori will be coming home on the 13th and I know she really wants to hang out with you. Have a super great day and tell Brett I said hi.

Anonymous said...

hello! I am glad you all are doing fine. I was sitting here in Steve's this christmas thinking about all the good times we have had in the house. It is so weird to think that Steve bought your parents house. We have changed it some. The firer place room has new walls, ceiling, and floor. The window opening from dining room to fire room is now a bar. We have hard wood floors in the dinning room, living room, and hall wall. We have replaced all the carpet in the rooms and painted all rooms. I was hoping to get snow this year to seigh down the hill, but it don't look like we will. I hope you had a wonderful christmas. Have a wonderful Birthday. And a Happy new year.

rusty

Anonymous said...

hey Alicia. Happy birthday a day or so late considering time zones, etc. Was in Hurricane wednesday night. We had been to Ohio to visit family and passed through hurricane on the way back to r-ville. JaneAn is home for until Jan 16. we went and got her in TX and attended a wedding there also. We're enjoying being with her. ACU has been very good for her.

So cool to keep up with you via the blog. I am not good at taking the time to work at the computer so this is the first time I have really viewed your blog. Had sent you and email a while back and was waiting to hear from you before I wrote again. What is you snail mail address?

hope you are really really good. Scott is wanting the computer. love you guys, Leslie