Sunday, December 03, 2006

Winter

As Christmas approaches, I have begun to miss home more and more. (i realize home is a relative word) I have been pleasantly surprised to find that since a few weeks ago, we have started seeing Christmas decorations for sale. Now we are seeing places like McDonalds, some store windows and the malls decorating with trees and lights. I definitely did not expect this; I have been told this has happened within the last couple of years. Brett and I have bought a few ornaments and decorations and hopefully we will buy a tree this week. I realize that things like Christmas decorations don't really matter, but it has helped me to feel more "at home" here during this time of the year. This will be my first Christmas not seeing my family.

Something we have been hearing lately is how "mild" this autumn and fall has been. This morning at church, a lady told us that there is usually snow on the ground by now and that the temperature is much much colder. We did notice ice on tree branches this morning!! We are very thankful for this unusual Ukraine weather, but I know it will change soon.

Something we are struggling to get used to is the thick, overcast skies and the darkness by 4pm. It has been very foggy lately, just about all day. Yesterday the sun came out for the first time in a week. It's difficult to stay active when the weather is like this, but it will be with us for a while and I am sure that God will provide us with plenty of his work this winter. (Alicia)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you and miss you, Alicia! Just put on some Nat King Cole and think about how you wouldn't be getting "Christmas" weather in Valdosta. (Although it was 28 in Tallahassee last night and I'm thinking that Lori brought that home with her.) I'm sorry it gets dark so early, though. Have a super great week! Love ya, Calyn

Anonymous said...

Hey Alicia, I hope all is well!!! I'm so encouraged by your blogs. I know that God will use you and your husband in amazing ways. I'm hard at work here in the states. I go to a church of about 1200 in Russell, ky. It's amazing to me that God has blessed this church, in an area that's in decline, how we can grow so much is nothing short of a miracle. I'm teaching sunday school now, coaching bball, and doing a program called FAITH evagelism. I'm lovin it!! I am also trying to start a christian radio program (or station) in Huntington. Well that's about all for me, I'll be praying for you guys!!
Hoops